Image Credit: Clint Patterson |

Fall is here, and do you know what that means? Days and nights have become chilly, and it’s only going to get colder as winter approaches! This is why many of us have made staying warm and cozy at home our top priority.

However, as you keep yourself warm this winter, you may not be aware of the fire dangers that may be lurking around your house. You might’ve not thought about it, but your house can still catch on fire even during colder days!

In this post, you’ll learn about uncommon fire hazards inside your home. We’ll also explore certain situations that may lead to housefires as you keep yourself warm and cozy this winter.

Dust bunnies

As the temperatures go lower in winter, you’ll also reduce your ventilation at home. This becomes the perfect time for dust to accumulate around your home.

Dust bunnies are highly combustible. These can easily catch on fire if they accumulate under radiators, around heaters, and near electrical outlets.

So how can you prevent fires caused by dust bunnies? Simple— just regularly clean and dust your home, especially around heating sources!

Spontaneous combustions

Space heaters are essential in keeping yourself warm this winter. However, did you know that some household items like oily rags and paper towels used for cleaning can spontaneously combust, even if they’re simply exposed to air?

It’s because space heaters make the air in your home dry. So you should also store these items in sealed, fire-resistant containers! Or better, dispose of them after use!

Dryer lint

Winter is the time for heavier clothing and blankets. This warms you up and keeps you cozy and comfortable during these cold times. And these times call for more frequent use of your dryer!

Lint can build up in your dryer’s exhaust ducts as well as under it. This lint buildup is a well-known fire hazard, and failing to regularly clean your dryer’s lint trap and around your dryer can lead to house fires!

Loose electrical outlets

There’s no doubt that electrical appliances are proven causes of house fires. And winter’s cold temperatures make you use appliances frequently such as electrical heaters. After all, it’s easier to use— just plug it in and turn it on!

However, you should watch out for any loose electrical outlet in your appliances. These can generate heat and spark, which can cause flammable materials like your curtains to catch on fire!

So this winter, make sure to consult with your electrician to fix any loose electrical outlets and prevent your house from catching on fire.

Keep yourself warm and safe this winter

Staying warm and cozy this winter doesn’t have to be at the expense of your home. You don’t have to increase your electrical bill or even catch your house on fire just so you can keep warm! This is why it’s important for you to understand even the most uncommon fire hazards to stay safe. When you can regularly maintain, properly store, and dispose of potentially dangerous items responsibly, you can prevent fires during these chilly times.

Remember, a safe home is a warm home. And if you ever need expert fire & smoke damage cleanup, don’t hesitate to reach out to professionals who can assist you in restoring your home to its former safety and comfort!

Follow Me